Friday, July 8, 2011

Dear Onnie



When S was one I made him a quilt. It was made of little squares of his first year outfits. His first swimsuit, first blankie, first Christmas Outfit etc. I put my blood sweat and tears into it and S must have appreciated it. It became his security blanket. He carried it everywhere. Slept with it; dragged it into the car; shoved it into overnight bags and backpacks. One of his favorite things to do was look at his baby book and find the square of the outfit he was wearing in each photo.

Over the years it has taken a beating. We have lost squares (:o(), the seams have come apart and the stains have set in. Some days I looked at it with pain in my heart, that this memento of his first year was so tattered, but I tried to look at it with love. Something I made for S meant the world to him and brought him the comfort he needed.

Today, we finally retired 'Onnie'. It wasn't because I felt S was too old or didn't need it anymore. I was worried that any further 'love' would result in the blanket completely falling apart and nothing would be salvageable. While S still used his onnie for comfort, he also now has a pillow and stuffed lizard that he's attached to. After a brief talk, S agreed that it was time to put onnie away. There was only one condition. I put it in his box and when S has a child of his own, I have to give it back so he can give it his child. This was S's condition and it further melted my heart.

The picture of Onnie doesn't do it justice. It is far worse off than the picture shows. It's new home is in a plastic ziplock bag. Hopefully it will survive the next time we try to remove it.

Goodbye Onnie. We loved you and I'm sure a little boy will miss you some nights. We will bring you out again and remember you fondly and once again be reminded of my sweet boy's first year.

(BTW K had one made too but never attached to hers like S. I have all the stuff to make M's but like everything else, haven't gotten around to making it.)

0 comments on "Dear Onnie"

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

 

How Crazy Can One Woman Be? Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipietoon | All Image Presented by Online Journal


This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates