Thursday, July 21, 2011

I'm Really Worried About My Dad


My dad suffers from colitis and the last two months has had a really difficult time with it. The doctor decided to do a colonoscopy this past Monday to check things out. It didn't look good. The area of the colon from the cecum to the rectum is in bad shape and has tumor growth through out. The rest of his colon has multiple polyp growths.

They took multiple biopsies and we will get the pathology report back sometime next week. I am terrified that this is cancer. Every male in my father's family dies by the time they are 60 with some sort of GI cancer. My dad is 51.

So we sit and wait. My mom is going crazy with worry - she tends to be very anxious and manic anyway so this is sending her over the edge. My dad who is the total opposite has not real reaction just yet. I imagine he is waiting until he knows. Even if it's not cancer, there is a possibility that they would need to remove that section of colon and place a colostomy. While of course this is better than cancer, I worry what this would do to my dad emotionally. He is very active and spends most of the summer in their cabin in the mountains. He lives in the lake. I just don't see him coping very well with a colostomy.

And then of course I worry not just about him or us but the kids. The boys are so attached to him it's crazy. Selfishly I worry what the possibilities would be like for the kids.

Anyway, please keep him in your thoughts. I am really anxious to hear these results.

2 comments on "I'm Really Worried About My Dad"

Ann on July 21, 2011 at 6:58 PM said...

Sending good thoughts your way. My daughter had her colon removed when she was 18 (10 years ago). Wearing an appliance isn't great -- but it hasn't stopped her from living her life. She goes salsa dancing all the time!

tripntwinmom on July 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM said...

((((HUGS)))) I do hope that it is not cancer....

Sending up prayers....

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

 

How Crazy Can One Woman Be? Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipietoon | All Image Presented by Online Journal


This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates