Saturday, July 17, 2010

Update on K


On Thursday we went to the Children's Hospital to see the Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon. Our appointment was at 10a and I was hopeful to be home by noon-ish. Hahahaha...yah right.

Dr G was very nice. She spoke to K about her symptoms and tried to read the x-rays K's previous doc had given us. They were too small for her to see, so we needed another set of x-rays (grrrr). After Dr G was able to see a better picture, she felt that the Radio Frequency Ablation was the best course of action and told us that the radiologist would call us to set up a date. We had gotten to our car and started to drive off when Dr G called me on my cell and said to come back because the radiologist wanted to get a CT scan to better visualize the tumor (double grrr).

So we came back to the hospital and were told that we were scheduled to have the CT at 12:40p. This is a HUGE hospital with multiple towers. We took a shuttle to one tower where K and I grabbed some lunch and then made sure we were where we were supposed to be at 12:30p. There we sat until 2:30p!!!!!! I was not happy. K was miserable, she was hurting (I didn't think to bring her medicine with us), I was hurting (didn't bring the pump) and my babysitter was still stuck with the boys at home.

K was called back at 2:30p and had fallen asleep on the chairs with her head resting on the arm of the chair (see pic below). We got into the scanner room and K lost it. She started crying saying she was scared and wouldn't go near the machine. I think at this point she was sooo tired and hurting that she just could no longer cope with anything new. After the radiology techs talked with her and let her push some of the machine buttons, she relaxed and let them scan her. It also helped that they let me stay and hold her hand...with a lead shield of course.


I got the call yesterday from the radiologist saying that everything was a go for the RFA and that he felt K was a good candidate. The only thing is that we need to go to see him for a pre-op visit and talk with pediatric anesthesia prior to scheduling the procedure. It feels like this will never end! It should be an outpatient procedure where K can come home that evening. Of course now it's Saturday and I still don't have a pre-op appointment scheduled. I hope they call Monday and we can get this ball rolling. K is in so much pain and is requiring medication every 4 to 6 hours around the clock. We all need relief from this as soon as possible.

***And my grrrr's are from the fact that I am very unhappy with the level of radiation that my child has been exposed to in the last two months. 5+ sets of x-rays and a CT scan as well as the fact that she will be scanned during her procedure and possibly a few weeks after for follow up. I just hope that none of this is causing any long term issues!

0 comments on "Update on K"

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

 

How Crazy Can One Woman Be? Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipietoon | All Image Presented by Online Journal


This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates