Saturday, February 5, 2011

Starting to Wonder What's Up


Since having Max it seems as though many of my friends have had extremely rare, difficult and traumatic pregnancy experiences. It makes me wonder if this is a trend in general lately, or if I seem to have a handful of very unfortunate friends.

It actually started when I was pregnant. K, who was about 10 weeks ahead of my had her daughter at 25 weeks. Her daughter lived for a little over 2 months, but eventually succumbed to infection. After that I had a few friends experience miscarriages, but sadly this isn't all that unusual.

Then of course the horrible loss of J's son at 30-ish weeks gestation. A random event turned her world upside down. But in happier news she has since been blessed with a beautiful adopted daughter.

Again another group of miscarriages including two friends who lost twin pregnancies, one as late as 18 weeks. Even outside the 'friend' category I had multiple internet acquaintances who were struggling with losses, illness and stillbirth.

I had been wracking my brain about a week or two ago, trying to think of a friend who had had a successful pregnancy outcome, but couldn't think of one. And then yesterday found out that a friend of mine who was pregnant had to have her baby via emergency c-section last week. She was 34 weeks and started to have an abruption. Once the baby was delivered they discovered something far more concerning. She had a massive tumor in her liver. This little princess, E is now in a NICU. Her liver is failing, she can't eat. Her heart is failing because it's working too hard. Her case is so rare there are only a handful of cases documented in the US. If the doctors can successfully treat her, the chance for a full and life long recovery are good, but we need to find that treatment plan.

I really hope this trend stops. I have one friend who is pregnant right now and a handful of others who are also pregnant. I am hoping beyond hope that I start hearing announcements of beautiful, healthy babies and no more shocking news of sickness and tragedy. I often think of how amazingly lucky I am that all three of my babies are here and came into this world with relative ease. Sometimes I think this whole pregnancy/birth thing is one big game of Russian Roulette and that I have beat the odds. Maybe I should quit now while I'm ahead.

0 comments on "Starting to Wonder What's Up"

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

 

How Crazy Can One Woman Be? Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipietoon | All Image Presented by Online Journal


This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates