Thursday, February 12, 2009

One Year Ago Today...


My Doctor called me and told me that I had MS. The tests had come back and confirmed what he had suspected. I wouldn't say my life fell apart, but it certainly cracked a bit.

I am lucky in many ways.

1.) I have not had any further flares since the one that diagnosed me.
2.) My very expensive meds have been 100% covered by my otherwise crappy insurance.
3.) My Doc is very impressed with my progress (or I guess lack there of) and is supportive of me getting pregnant.
4.) My Doc believes that I caught this extremely early and it may be many years before I have any more problems.
5.) Although the meds cause painful, itchy whelts on my body, that is my only side effect.

Of course life isn't all roses. I think I am still in somewhat of a denial. Every so often I 'realize' that I have a chronic illness. Sometimes I can forget and then I am a work and get a patient who is debilitated due to MS and it's like a punch in the gut. I still haven't read one book, researched any new treatments or joined the local chapter. I think for me, a certain amount of denial is necessary. I can't be consumed with thoughts all the time or I will crumble.

Of course there are days I am angry...like knowing that if I hadn't been diagnosed I would most likely have an infant in my arms now, or be well into my pregnancy. I just have to focus on the positive though. If it hadn't found it early, there would be more time for it to attack my nervous system before starting the medications to slow its speed. Hopefully I caught it early enough that it will be many, many years before the MS truly impacts my life.

I will be walking in the MS Walk this March. Last year I raised over $700. So far I have raised $520. With the economy I am very happy with what I have made so far. Wish us luck and when the walk does happen, I will be sure to post pics :)

1 comments on "One Year Ago Today..."

tripntwinmom on February 16, 2009 at 6:09 PM said...

Good for you!
Here's to MANY MANY years without it even affecting you!
((((((hugs)))))))

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

 

How Crazy Can One Woman Be? Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipietoon | All Image Presented by Online Journal


This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates