Monday, February 2, 2009

Sunday Was a Horrible Day


I had to work and when I called home to check on the twins I learned that K woke up throwing up and she was pretty sick. My babysitters watch the kids when they're sick so I just made sure I called every few hours and got updates from the sitter. I knew something wasn't right when I heard K had a fever as she just never gets one. When I got home I found K to have a temp of 104.4, had vomited 10-15 times and hadn't peed all day. Of course I ran her to the ER. After a chest x-ray, ice chips and meds they discovered K had pneumonia and a double ear infection.

While sitting there waiting for the plan, my mind was spinning with what my plan would be. Another 'crisis' for a single mom. There was no way I was leaving K in the hospital by herself but I couldn't keep S there all night either. My parents are currently in Mexico. I thought about all my friends and possibilities. I ended up calling my sister and she agreed to be on stand-by.

Luckily they let me take her home, since I am a nurse, and since K was now drinking on her own and had wet a diaper. That night was a long one, making sure K kept up on her fluids and keeping the meds on schedule.

K was such a trooper in the hospital. She tried to listen to what everyone was telling her to do and even said "Cheese" when they were doing her chest x-ray. As sick as she was she looked so darned cute.

Today she is already on the mend. I am still pushing fluids and medicating her around the clock, but she is mostly back to her bossy, opinionated self :) S unfortunately is now running fevers too. He doesn't have any respiratory symptoms and hasn't vomited so for now I am just watching him. If you came to my house right now there would be med syringes and bottles of Motrin, Tylenol, Amoxicillan and Guiafenisin all over. Luckily I don't work again until Friday.

And just to let you moms know...apparently a few days of congestion followed by a fever spike and non-stop vomiting are hallmark symptoms of pneumonia in kids.

0 comments on "Sunday Was a Horrible Day"

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

 

How Crazy Can One Woman Be? Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipietoon | All Image Presented by Online Journal


This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates