Saturday, September 6, 2008

Why Are People So Self Destructive?


Today at work I cared for a 33 year old woman who had end stage cirrhosis. She is an alcoholic and killed her liver. She can barely feed herself, she is confused, her eyes are bright yellow and she wears a diaper because she is incontinent. Sadly she has two children including a toddler. They will be calling in palliative care to help her and the family during her period of death. The whole time I'm in the room I just think about how pitiful the situation is. She has chosen to drink herself to death - and yes I know addiction is a disease and it's a hard one to overcome - I'm not trying to deny that. Heck, I use food as my outlet and if I don't get that under control in several years when I have my first heart attack or have some great diabetic complications, I will be just as responsible.

On other news, this great hurricane Hanna 'hit' last night. It rained until about 10 am this morning and stopped. The sun came out, the clouds went away and the skies turned blue. No flooding, no heavy rains, no wind. In fact, if I didn't know it was a hurricane, I would have just assumed it was a rainy day. I hope we are as lucky with Ike.

And the final note for the day....I am getting sick. I just know it. K has had a cough for a few days. Now I am getting a tickle in my throat and my left ear is really hurting. CRAP! I hate getting sick when I have so much to do!

1 comments on "Why Are People So Self Destructive?"

tripntwinmom on September 7, 2008 at 8:50 PM said...

That is so sad. I keep saying the same thing about myself. I HAVE to get my weight under control before I meet an untimely death like my mom...

Glad to hear that the hurricane fizzled out for you guys....

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

 

How Crazy Can One Woman Be? Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipietoon | All Image Presented by Online Journal


This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates